Personal Number (Norwegian ID-number)

23.11.2015 // Norwegian citizens who were either born abroad or have not been residents in Norway since 1964, must obtain a personal number before applying for a Norwegian passport. An application must be made through the Norwegian Embassy in Amman, Jordan. If you are uncertain of whether you have a personal number, please contact the Embassy.

Applications for a personal number must be lodged in person with both parents at the embassy in Amman, after prior appointment. You cannot apply for a personal number without also applying for a passport. Please see this page for more information about passports.

To book an appointment, send an email to Please specify:

  • Name of the child applying for a personal number and date of birth
  • Names of parents
  • Personal number of parent(s) with Norwegian citizenship
  • Phone number
  • Preferred date.

The application for a personal number should include the following documents: 

  • Original Birth certificate -  translated into English and legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Jordan/Iraq.
  • The child’s Jordanian/Iraqi passport (if the child possesses this)
  • Original Marriage certificate/contract of the child’s parents if parents are married, translated into English and legalised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Jordan/Iraq
  • Original passports of both parents  (Applicants residing in Iraq should present their original Iraqi identity card, nationality certificate and passport, even if they possess a Norwegian passport.)

The applications for  personal number will be forwarded to Skatt Nord (Folkeregisteret) in Tromsø, Norway, for processing.  

Routines for Iraqi cases:

Applicants from Iraq will be asked for a DNA test. In order to make the process easier for the applicants, and to avoid you coming to the embassy several times, we have created a new routine for Iraqi applicants:

We ask that the documents on the list above are scanned and sent to us by email – so that we can start the application process prior to you (child, mother, and father) coming to the embassy in Amman.

When you have submitted the documents to us by email, we will forward them to Skatt Nord, who will provide us with a case number and a request for DNA-test. There is a fee for the DNA-tests. Once you have paid the fee for the DNA-tests, we will book you an appointment with the embassy to submit the documents in original, take the DNA-tests, and apply for a passport.

Please note that we do not accept legalizations from the Kurdish authorities, all documents from Iraqi applicants must be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Baghdad.


Bookmark and Share